Friday, October 5, 2012

new things my dog can do

Three things Maya has done recently that made me particularly happy:

One, Maya played catch with a stranger (okay, "stranger").  The "stranger" threw the ball, Maya caught or chased the ball, then she returned the ball to within about a dozen feet and nudged it toward the "stranger."  Then I picked it up and tossed it the extra distance and we repeated.  Maya did not growl, charge, cower, or startle, although she did a certain amount of impatient barking (which is fine...the goal is a happy dog, not a silent dog!).  What she mostly did was wag from the shoulders back, and try to use her terrific powers of mental telepathy to make the person THROW THE BALL AGAIN.

Two, Maya greeted a (human) friend of hers while I was standing right there.  The "friend" works at the kennel at which we board Maya, and they are well-acquainted there, but Maya greeted her with soft, wagging enthusiasm, even with me present and involved.  The person even petted her, right on the head, and Maya was fine with it.  This wasn't a big deal, it was just delightful and easy, and I love seeing my dog so friendly with anyone.

Three, Maya walked away with that friend, to stay a few days at the kennel, and barely spared me a backward glance.  She was so comfortable and happy to be in this familiar and safe environment, and I felt a big squeeze of knowing I'd done this one thing exactly right.  Our kennel is also our vet's office, and Maya gets so excited when we pull up that she yodels with glee; she can stay there when we travel, or when we have visitors and don't want to negotiate the dog stuff; she can get vet care; she is safe; she is happy.

Maya's ability to feel safe and comfortable in the wider world has improved out of all recognition.  Her ability to interact with other people remains pretty limited, and depends considerably on context, as these examples probably illustrate.  She keeps growing, learning, and trying to stretch her comfort zone; I think she is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment