Friday, June 17, 2011

two years

Tomorrow is the two-year anniversary of the day we brought Maya home. She's grown so much since then, physically and emotionally, in ways that defy description.

First day home.


Maya now.


Increasingly, I am convinced that I have the best dog in all the world.  Oh, she isn't completely perfect, and I suppose that Maya would be an awful fit in many homes.  She fits just right into ours though.

Maya is comfort when I am sad, companionship when I am happy.  A cheerful word from me can make her pointy face break into a wide, laughing grin, make her paws dance.  I love hiking, but I love hiking with Maya better.  She is fascinating and fun, challenging and rewarding, silly and sweet.

When I adopted Maya, I wasn't quite sure what dog ownership would bring.  I hoped to learn more about dogs, to try my hand at a little training, to have a companion who could accompany me on the kinds of adventures I love, and to build a friendship.  I had no idea that I would be forced to learn a huge amount about dogs because mine was such a disaster, or that I'd need to commit to full-time training for years to come, or that any of it would be so difficult.  But I am realizing that in a way, I found exactly what I was looking for.

I imagine that life will always hold challenges for Maya, and that certain things may never come easily to us.  Friendship, laughter, and love, however, are as easy as can be imagined.

3 comments:

  1. Aww - I had forgotten what a baby face she had when you brought her home! You two are a match made in heaven. She's brought out the best in you as a trainer, and you've brought out the best in her as a faithful companion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! You forgot to mention her fabulous lips in your list of Maya's greatness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did forget her lips! Though I was just playing with them in bed this morning...the price she pays for trying to share my pillow ;-)

    Thank you Meera. Maya's early photos never fail to surprise me -- how could I have thought she was mostly full-grown?!

    ReplyDelete