Tuesday, July 5, 2011

back home

Since coming back home, Maya has done this:

And a lot of this:
When she is not sleeping (which is to say, any time I walk around the house) she follows me around with a big, goofy grin on her face.  I think she's at least as happy to be home as I am.

It's just as well she's so sleepy, since there is nothing to do here.  All hiking trails are closed, and there is enough smoke in the air that strenuous activity outside would be a bad idea.  At least all that smoke makes for beautiful sunsets.


The red color is mostly the effect of sunset on the smoke.  But as the sky gets darker, the ridge line glows orange and red with leaping flames.  This fire isn't done yet, even if it is pushed back.  In a way, I like being able to see it.  Because it had such a profound effect on my week, and will continue to change everything here for a long time, there is some satisfaction in meeting it face-to-face.

Even with fire on the horizon, it is good to be home.

1 comment: