Friday, July 15, 2011

backyard wildlife

We are having a very wildlife-filled summer, mainly due to the drought and fire. I admit I have my preferences with animals -- I like the night snake in our raspberry patch, even when it slides ticklishly over my bare toes when I water, but I don't like worrying about Maya encountering a bear in our yard.  Not that we've had many bears come by, but enough to keep me on alert.

We've had a lot of deer and elk too.  They mostly stay outside our fence, preferring the empty lot behind us.  When they do come in, Maya takes her job of barking at them very seriously.  Her brave defense of our garden almost makes up for all the plants she playfully smashed immediately after I planted them (I guess I seemed to be having so much fun with them, she wanted to give it a try too).

Deer leaving our back lot to go check out the neighbor's yard.


At dusk, a hummingbird family always stops by.  First it was a pair, but now a littler bird accompanies them.  I don't know much about hummingbird families, or about how long the babies stay in their parents' territory, but the relationship seems clear.


Lots of other birds too -- finches, sparrows, jays, flickers, an acorn woodpecker, a family of robins, a pair of beautiful tanagers, ravens who like to tease Maya.

Besides the night snake, we have lots of western terrestrial garter snakes.  I am fond of snakes, though I have been putting a lot of effort into making sure Maya does not learn to reflexively chase them.  I don't want her to be as stupid about snakes as she already is about running mammals (such as mountain lions, bears, and squirrels). 

Our garter snakes are sweet and shy, and smile at me from their hiding spots in our rock wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment